INTEGRATING OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES (IPWD) IN AFGHANISTAN
BARAN in partnership with Care of Afghan Families (CAF) has implemented the Integration of Persons with Disability (IPwD) project in Kabul, Parwan and Kapisa Provinces to improve social inclusion of persons with hearing disability.
The project provided disability awareness trainings for BPHS implementers, governmental public health staff and other community development programs' implementers.
The project was financially supported by European Commission (EC) from January 2010 till June 2012 for a period of 30 months.
The project provided the below services for the targeted population of mentioned provinces:
- Workshops/ trainings on disability awareness, advocacy conducted for the management and leadership of persons with hearing disability (PwHDs), their families, and local authorities;
- Public school’s teachers were trained on sign language in order to facilitate inclusion of persons with hearing disability to local public schools;
- Training of Trainers on sign language and conducted special education classes for PwHDs;
- Awareness trainings and workshops conducted for self-help groups and disabled persons’ organization member on management and advocacy;
- Hearing disability assessment and audiography of patients, preparing of positive ear moulds and distribution of ear moulds and hearing aids to beneficiaries at the community level;
- Conducting of training on tailoring, carpentry and mushroom cultivation;
- 21 self-help groups (SHGs) of persons with hearing disability established and three disabled persons’ organization (DPO) registered with ministry of justice (MoJ);
- IEC materials developed and distributed to 21 centers.